If you have a question that has not been answered on this page, please email Katherine at email@example.com.
The Registrar's Office has a Dates and Deadlines page for each semester. You can find the Fall 2016 Dates and Deadlines here; http://www.sfsu.edu/~admisrec/reg/regsched2167.html. Dates and times may change without prior notice. Contact the Registrar's Office for verification.
- When you enter the graduate program, an advisor is assigned to you. This assignment is to help direct you to a faculty member that can address the area of study to which you applied. If you do not want to keep this person as your advisor, you choose from our faculty for a new advisor. No official paperwork needs to be turned in to do this. You must only get permission of the faculty advisor to be your new advisor.
- There are two places to look for important dates and deadlines. The first one has all of the basic university deadlines and dates, including and not limited to semester start and end dates, class registration dates, course add and drop deadlines, withdrawal deadlines, and the finals schedule. This page is updated each semester. The information is found on the Registrar's website; http://www.sfsu.edu/~admisrec/reg/regsched2167.html. The other page to look at for specifics of your Graduate paperwork, you can look at the Student Deadlines page on the Division of Graduate Studies Website; http://grad.sfsu.edu/content/student-deadlines. You can also find useful information about the semester activities, including on the Academic Calendar.
- Changing from the M.A. to the M.F.A.; If you would like to change your program to the M.F.A. after being accepted to the M.A., you must apply to the M.F.A. If you are going to complete the M.A. first, you should apply to the M.F.A. program between October 1st and January 15th, for the fall fallowing your M.A. graduation. If you will not be completing your M.A. and would like to use the credits you have earned (up to 24) towards the M.F.A., you only need to complete the department portion of the application. If you are accepted into the M.F.A. you would then be prompted to fill out the Request for Change of Master's Degree form.
- Changing from the M.F.A. to the M.A.; Some M.F.A. students would like both degrees for professional reasons. This means that sometimes a student admitted to the M.F.A. will change their program to the M.A. to be able to receive both the M.A. and the M.F.A. This change should only be made the semester before the M.F.A. student wishes to enroll in the M.A. thesis course. No permission must be received to change to the M.A. degree from the M.F.A. degree. The M.A. degree must be completed before the M.F.A. degree. You can change your program with the Request for Change of Master's Degree form; http://grad.sfsu.edu/sites/sites7.sfsu.edu.grad/files/assets/forms/change-of-program-masters.pdf.
- If you decide that the genre that you applied to and were accepted into, is no longer of interest to you, you should make arrangements to meet with a professor who specializes in the genre to which you wish to change to. They will want to see your writing as it relates to the genre that you wish to move to, and will determine if they think you are a good fit. Changing genres is not guaranteed. If the professor agrees that your work and skill level would work for the new genre, they will agree to let you move to the new area. Your thesis does need to be done in the area in which you have designated, so you must change genres if you wish to do a thesis in a different area.
- Yes, there are two forms that need to be completed before you can get permission to enroll in your thesis course. These need to be turned in the semester before enrollment.
- You will need to ask a faculty member to be your thesis reader. This should be a faculty member who specializes in your chosen genre.
- Open interactive Advancement to Candidacy (ATC) form online http://grad.sfsu.edu/content/current-students/atc. From the dropdown menu select either Creative Writing M.F.A. or English: Creative Writing M.A. Fill in the form on your computer and print it out for signature (your thesis advisor will sign your ATC form). The ATC form has various sections with informative headings, consisting of which courses satisfy which requirements, read carefully. Aids to filling in your ATC form: program requirements as outlined in various handouts, the bulletin and your unofficial SFSU transcript, available online at http://registrar.sfsu.edu/reg-transcripts#unofficial. Once you have filled in all coursework, your personal information, print out for signature.
- Open interactive Proposal for Culminating Experience form online http://grad.sfsu.edu/content/current-students/culminating-experience-procedures. Select 893: Written Creative Work. Fill in the form on your computer. The description must be at least 40 words long. You and your first reader must agree upon 2-3 dates in your thesis semester when you will meet; your fist reader checks the boxes to indicate that they are not (rarely he or she might be available, but usually they are not) available during either the Summer or Winter. Print out for signature.
- Get signatures from Committee Chair (also known as your first reader or thesis advisor) on your ATC and your Proposal for Culminating Experience forms. Your "second reader" or committee member also signs your culminating Experience from (this second reader/committee member is a nominal member only except in the case of Dodie Bellamy or Truong Tran).
- Turn in forms at HUM 380, Creative Writing Department
- No, your advisor does not need to also be your thesis reader. Your thesis reader should be one of the professors that specializes in your designated genre, but the person who advises you can be from any area of Creative Writing.
- You would use the ATC Course Substitution form: http://grad.sfsu.edu/sites/default/files/assets/forms/atc-substitution.pdf. This form is necessary when you have deviated in any way from the M.A./M.F.A. degree requirements, including if you take different courses than those listed on your ATC. If more than three changes are needed, the Division of Graduate Study would like you to complete and submit a new ATC form.
- You can change the title of your thesis by submitting a Title Change for Culminating Experience form http://grad.sfsu.edu/sites/sites7.sfsu.edu.grad/files/assets/forms/title-change-for-ce.pdf.
- You can update or completely change your committee members using the Petition for Committee Revision; grad.sfsu.edu/sites/sites7.sfsu.edu.grad/files/assets/forms/petition-for-committee-revision.pdf.